Thursday, June 12, 2014

Leah Lopez

Leah 2, oil on canvas 58" x 58" (2014)

Leah and I started working together in January 2013. In the past, we went to the same art school, the Art Students League of New York, but were never in the same class and missed meeting. I kept hearing about her and people told me I needed to meet her. We finally officially met an art opening at the Salmagundi Club where we were both showing our work. We hit it off so well, and as we talked the idea of posing for each other came up. "Free models" was the original thought! I had no idea where this project would lead but it seemed fun. As it turned out, getting to know her through painting her has been one of the most beautiful experiences in my life.

Leah, oil on canvas 28" x 42" (2013)

I showed up at her moody, north lit studio in Union Square on a wintery Sunday morning. As we chatted over tea about our "project" it became so apparent to both of us just how much we have in common, how in sync we are. Over the year and a half of painting each other and our ensuing friendship - "sistership" I like to call it - I can say that she has become my model, my muse, my friend, my sister and my inspiration!

Us!!

Painting her led me to the idea for my current body of work which is about painting women I know in the arts. I have been very fortunate to be surrounded by creative, inspiring women. It's my honor to paint them and support them in their creative endeavors. I'm so thankful to know Leah, my beautiful model and even more beautiful friend.

Leah Lopez Summer Boquet, 20" x 16" oil on linen

To find out more about this lovely lady, please check out her work at

www.leahlopez.com

She is a painter/teacher extraordinaire! (You may even see a painting of me as a flapper!)

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment